Isle attorney builds contemporary, comfortable and dog-friendly home
Maureen McCutchen lived on the West End of Galveston for 14 years, but wanted to get closer to her downtown office at Mills Shirley, where she’s a law partner.
So, McCutchen bought a 70-by-120-foot lot on Lake Madeline on the island two years ago and finally built her dream home in March.
Architect David Mullican designed the 2,000-square-foot house with a few embellishments by McCutchen.
The house, with three bedrooms and three baths, features an open-concept living/dining/kitchen area with spacious windows, an elevator, and a large entertaining area below with outdoor shower and garage. Jimmy Clore and Kevin Gabriel, of Alta Vista Builders, did the construction and Bill Milligan, of Milltello Design, helped with wall colors and finishing touches.
“I didn’t want my home to look like a beach house, plus it needed to conform with the neighborhood,” McCutchen said. “And I wanted it off the ground so I could view the lake over the top of my boathouse.”
Other stipulations included: open, airy, no huge bedrooms, no carpet, low-maintenance, simple and clean lines.
“My previous homes were more formal, so I wanted my new house to be contemporary and casual, and I even painted several pieces of my brown wood furniture a custom-blended black to fit with the new theme,” she said.
It was important to McCutchen that her home be dog friendly, not only for her two canines, Maddy and Miley, but her friends’ dogs as well. As the president of the Galveston Island Humane Society, she’s a big advocate for animal adoption.
The entry walls contain photos from the many national parks McCutchen has visited over the years, which also is a passion of hers. Colorful paintings by students at Scott Collegiate Academy from the book project, “No Dog Left Behind: Learn how to Evacuate with Scotty,” hang prominently in the living room.
Subtle gray walls give way to one of vivid brightness (Sherwin Williams Gladiola). A microsuede slipped sofa from Pottery Barn is paired with matching houndstooth chairs from Overstock.com and make for a cozy seating arrangement in front of the wall-mounted gas fireplace.
A long window seat with a cobalt blue cushion and floral/geometric accent pillows, which are by Milltello Design, add splashes of color. The glass and chrome tables are from High Fashion in Houston.
The kitchen cabinets were custom made, the majority with Shaker-style doors. Others are backlit with glass doors, adding illumination and showcase collectibles.
The 105-inch-long dining room table sits on a stainless pedestal surrounded by 10 black leather chairs — two extras are stored to seat 12 — from High Fashion. Impressive élan Rockne mini pendant chandelier light fixtures hang above.
Lighting is a remarkable focal point of the house. “I blew my budget on lighting,” McCutchen said.
Work by Galveston artist Danny Pickett along with family photos are displayed throughout. Shore bird photos decorate the walls of the master bedroom. Marble counters and an oversized shower with rainfall showerhead are master bath perks.
The back deck runs the entire length of the house and provides a nice, relaxing view of the lake. It’s easy to see why this is McCutchen’s favorite part of the house.
“I enjoy watching sunsets from here, as do my two dogs,” she said. “It’s like being on vacation when I come home.”
Details of note
• Exterior: HardiePlank (Sherwin Williams Network Gray and Extra White). Stone is Coronado Pro-Ledge Black Forest. Stairs are slate (English Gray) with stainless cable railing.
• Interior Walls: Sherwin Williams Gray Screen is the predominate color. Living room accent wall: Gladiola. Pure White was used for trim, shelving and cabinets. Master bedroom and bath: Soar Blue. Interior shutters and Solar Shades from Hunter Douglas.
• Floors: Porcelain tile (Santino Grigio from Daltile).
• Kitchen: Countertop: Absolute Black granite; Island: Bianco River granite (both from Vivaldi Stone in Houston). Backsplash: Evening Mixer from Daltile. Blanco Silgranit double sink. Appliances: Jenn-Air cooktop, vent hood, oven and dishwasher; LG counter-depth refrigerator. Bar stools from Overstock.com.
• Light fixtures: Lighting Unlimited and Overstock.com.
• Décor research: Houzz App.