Each May, Coast Monthly celebrates the beach and swimsuit season. It’s been our tradition for years. But May also happens to be the month when the nation celebrates motherhood. We asked: Why not do both?
In this issue, we pay tribute to 10 of the most inspirational women we know. These women are building careers, businesses, communities and strong families. They have grit and grace and are candid about the daily challenges they face. It was important to the moms in this issue — and to us — that we focus on inner and outer beauty. They are, after all, role models to their children. As you’ll see, each woman in this issue wins on both counts.
Along with these “Mighty Moms,” you’ll find articles and photos about the annual Beach Revue and its Bathing Beauties Contest, a vintage-themed pageant that has become a favorite island way to launch the summer season. Enjoy those stories and so much more.
We welcome your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy beach season.
Each year, a lot of generous people and businesses help us with our beach photo shoot for the May issue. The shoot usually takes weeks of planning and a full day to execute. The May issue requires a lot of behind-the-scenes help and generosity, talent and skills. We’d be remiss in not thanking this group of Coast Monthly supporters. We extend our sincerest gratitude to:
• Sand ‘N Sea Properties, an island-based real estate sales and vacation rental firm that never fails to find us the best location with picture-perfect views and a place for relaxation, wardrobe changes, hair and makeup services.
This year, Sand ‘N Sea gave us access to Family Tides, 13030 Bermuda Beach Drive, a charming and cozy beach-front vacation rental just steps from the water;
• The skilled crew at Tantalize Tanning, 2218 61st St. in Galveston, for providing spray tan services for moms who wanted some added glow;
• Ohana Surf & Skate, 2814 Ave. R½ in Galveston, for offering bathing suits to any Mighty Mom who wanted one.
We’d also like to thank our beauty team, the women who offer their talent to style the hair and apply the makeup for these shoots. These women are mighty in their own right and display grace under pressure. We’re lucky to call them part of the Coast Monthly team.
• Rebecca Rivera, of Total Technique Salon, 3226 13th Ave. N., Texas City, 409.945.9542
• Michelly Villalpando, of Tangles Salon, 1206 14th St. N., Texas City, 409.945.0007
• Karolina Kilbergerova, of Hair Tech Beauty Salon, 16510 Termini-San Luis Pass Road, Galveston, 409.737.4247