Each month, Coast Monthly visits with some of the most charming people on the Texas Coast to see a few of their favorite things.
Rebecca Milton’s favorite holiday is Halloween. She especially likes foggy graveyards, skeletons and dressing up in costume. For Halloween last year, she dressed up as Amy Winehouse.
Milton was raised in Gadsden, Ala. But her marriage to her husband, Dave, brought her to San Leon, where the couple lived for 25 years until moving to Dickinson 10 years ago.
Milton, an insurance service representative for the Dennis Cooke State Farm agency in Dickinson, can’t remember a day when she didn’t work outside of the home. After her son and daughter left the nest, Milton decided it was time to tap into her creative side, but she wasn’t quite sure how to do it.
“Something changed in me, and I guess I just blossomed,” she said.
She became interested in photography, dabbled in art and then — out of the blue and with no stage training — auditioned for a play, snagging one of the lead roles. With newfound confidence, Milton wants to perform in a musical next. Although her two grandchildren give her a lot of pleasure, she also finds joy repurposing furniture, painting designs on the backyard fence and going to the beach. She describes her fashion style as unique.
“I like things that are a bit groovy, but classy,” she said. “I like to make a statement and stand out from the crowd.”
Here are a few of her favorite things:
1. Mermaid art: I got this at The Style co. in Galveston. It’s called “Day Mermaid,” painted by the owner of the shop. I want to go back and get her “Night Mermaid.”
2. Shoes: I saw these in a magazine and thought they were so “me” and just had to have them.
3. Seahorse: I bought this at Murdochs in Galveston, my favorite place to look at all the great souvenirs.
4: Cookbook: I use recipes out of this for my annual Halloween party. I write the menu in colored chalk on an old mirror.
5. Skeleton clown: I have a collection of small clown dolls that I use when decorating for Halloween. This big guy takes center stage.
6. DVD: This is the DVD of the comedy I was in — “Not Now, Darling” — at the Bay Area Harbour Playhouse in Dickinson. I played Maude Bodley.
7. Wreath: I hang this on my front door every Halloween.
8. Pumpkin: This is one of my many Halloween pumpkins I designed.