Each month, Coast Monthly visits with some of the most charming people on the Texas Coast to see a few of their favorite things.
A move from Dallas to San Leon is a drastic change of pace. But Reneé Taunton said it was the best thing she ever did.
Taunton began visiting the area about two years ago to reconnect with family. An uncle, who was a longtime resident of San Leon, kept suggesting she give up big city life and learn to enjoy the laid-back atmosphere of coastal living in a small town. As part of the global sales team for Hilton Worldwide, Taunton often works remotely from home, so moving wasn’t a problem.
She scouted out real estate, found a house on a canal with a view of Galveston Bay and was set. She particularly loves the fact that Galveston Island is a mere 20 minutes from her house, she said.
“I’m a water person,” she said. “Plus, the stars are brighter than any you’ll ever see in the big city.”
Taunton relishes early morning sunrises, evening sunsets and dining at TopWater Grill, she said.
She calls her fashion style “comfortable casual,” but will wear a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes when the occasion arises.
“I wear a lot of black and my go-to outfit is jeans and boots,” she said. “But I do have an obsession with Louis Vuitton handbags — I have five of them.”
Here are a few of her favorite things:
1. Photo of her father: This is my Dad, Jim Taunton, when he was in the Army. It represents who he was pre-family life.
2. Mardi Gras painting: Galveston artist Diane Gonzales painted this on a window salvaged from an old Galveston home. I love Mardi Gras. I was on the Dancing Queen float last year.
3. Heirloom necklace: This pearl and diamond necklace belonged to my paternal grandmother; it is special to me.
4. Books and belts: These were some of my Dad’s favorite books that I bound with his belts. He really liked reading about history and antique cars. He died three years ago; we were very close.
5. Dallas Cowboys helmet: I am a die-hard Cowboys fan. This is signed by Roger Staubach. He autographed it with the year he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, 1985.
6. St. Andrews 18th hole pin flag: One of my favorite pastimes is playing golf, and I had the honor of playing at St. Andrews in Scotland about 10 years ago.
7. Ibanez guitar: My brother, Geoffrey, surprised me with this gift. I’ve always wanted an electric guitar and now I have one, which I’m learning to play.
8. Granny’s mink: This belonged to my paternal grandmother. She wore it a lot and probably bought it with the money she made selling Mary Kay Cosmetics.
9. Jimmy Choo heels: I do like the style of his shoes and these black patent ones go well with anything.