Each month, Coast Monthly visits with some of the most charming people on the Texas Coast to see a few of their favorite things.
When Katie Burns was 3 years old, she got a Tinker Bell makeup kit. She’s been obsessed with makeup ever since.
Today, her studio/mobile makeup service in Friendswood keeps her busy, but she also values her free time. Living next to a canal in Kemah allows her to relax with boyfriend, John, who shares Burns’ affection for anything and everything coastal.
They enjoy boating, cruising around the neighborhood in their golf cart or just hanging out at home after Burns whips up a seafood supper. Burns is passionate about cooking — so much so, she dreams of one day owning a small cafe that specializes in breakfast. But Alaskan cod baked in the oven with a bit of lemon, sea salt and cracked pepper is a favorite dinner specialty.
Burns was Homecoming Queen at Houston’s Dobie High School, danced during halftime at the 2004 Super Bowl, and worked for cosmetic giants MAC and Chanel, while getting an associate degree in business management.
Burns, who describes herself as a “people person,” likes helping her clients feel good about themselves, she said.
“It makes my day knowing I helped them look and feel their best,” she said.
Her fashion style is a mix of casual, trend and comfort. She prefers to have fun with clothes, she said.
“Before I moved to the water, I dressed a bit more snazzy, but here, I’m all about being casual and less formal, particularly when it comes to shoes,” she said. “Michael Kors makes a very comfortable heel.”
Here are a few of her favorite things:
1. Panama Jack cruiser: “I love my orange and pink bike. John and I ride around the marina and often take our bikes down to the Galveston seawall.”
2. Tory Burch sneakers: “A combination of mesh, suede and printed patent leather, these are funky, fun and go well with anything casual.”
3. TAGHeuer watch: “A gift from John on my 30th birthday. I only wear it on very special occasions.”
4. Virgin Gorda cap: “I got this cap while visiting Virgin Gorda, an island in the British West Indies. It was a life-changing trip, because I felt such peace there.”
5. Elephant and calves: “I collect elephants, this one being my favorite. It reminds me of my mom and my two sisters. My dad passed away when I was 5, and my mom raised us on her own.”
6. Waterproof pink purse: “Made of shiny plastic, this is perfect for taking out on the boat or to the pool — anywhere near the water.”
7. Yellow jacket: “My favorite winter jacket. It’s sporty and dressy at the same time. I can take it out on the boat or wear to dinner.”
8. Red scarf: “My mom gave this to me. I love the color, the beads and sequins.”
9. David Yurman bracelet: “It’s a sterling cable bracelet with cultured pearls and 14-karat gold. I wear it every day.”
10. Flower arrangements: “I like faux flower arrangements around the house. They add light and color and I don’t have to water them.”