Each month, Coast Monthly visits with some of the most charming people on the Texas Coast to see a few of their favorite things.
Galveston resident Claudia Salinas has a lot to look forward to this year. She’ll be eligible to apply for the Registered Nursing program at Galveston College in the fall, and upon completion, she plans to study for a Bachelor of Science in nursing at the University of Texas Medical Branch. Salinas is devoted to her two teenage children, her Christian faith and music. She is happiest when singing at her church or just browsing antiques shops in downtown Galveston with her son and daughter, stopping for breakfast on occasion. Living about a block from the beach has it perks. The scent of the seashore and the sound of the waves are therapeutic to her, she said. Employed by the medical branch for 11 years, she’s an administrative associate in marketing and communications. Calling her fashion style “budget friendly,” she keeps an eye on her pocketbook.
“I find really nice things at Marshalls and Ross,” she said.
Here are a few of her favorite things:
1. Photo of Claudia and daughter: We were walking around The Strand one day pretending we were tourists, and my daughter begged to do these old-fashioned pictures. We had so much fun.
2. Astros shirt: We love baseball and are big Astros fans. José Altuve is my very favorite player, and I wear this when we go to the games.
3. Heart-shaped box: This was a gift from my cousin in Ontario for my quinceañera, held at my church, Rios De Agua Viva, in Galveston.
4. Bookmark: This was given to me by one of the research doctors at UTMB. He brought this back from China, and it’s so beautiful.
5. Book: I am reading “The Alchemist,” which has been out a while, but when singer Pharrell Williams recommended it, I was intrigued. It’s all about life’s lessons and focusing on your own journey.
6. Cross: This is a special cross given to me by my best friend during a difficult time. She prayed with me and was supportive.
7. Sequin gown: I wore this to my brother’s wedding at the Davidson Ballroom in The Tremont House. The dress is loaded with rose gold sequins. It was a very special day.
8. Keepsake boot: When my niece had a bridal shower, we all wore boots. She also had fresh flowers in these boot vases for table decorations. It’s so very Texan and reminds me of that fun day.
9. Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture: I take this everywhere I go. It’s my favorite fragrance, because it’s very light with notes of vanilla and jasmine.