Each month, Coast Monthly visits with some of the most charming people on the Texas Coast to see their style.
When Pamela Gabriel lived in Houston, she loved visiting Galveston on the weekends. “Why not move there permanently?” she thought. So, in 1995, that’s what she did.
Her paralegal background, degree in accounting and real estate license landed her a job with a real estate agency. Then, one day, Kevin Gabriel — a tall, handsome builder — walked into her office. She was smitten. Today, they’re married and the proud parents of Sara, 13, and Austin, 12.
Gabriel is now a top agent at Sand ‘N Sea Properties. The Gabriels own two island homes, including one on Pirates Beach on Galveston’s West End.
Her fashion style is versatile.
“I’m very comfortable in a dress and heels for work,” she said. “But I’m just as happy in flip-flops, with sand between my toes.”
Here are a few of her favorite things:
1. Art by Sara: My daughter did this colorful painting at school when she was 9 years old. It’s her rendition of Moody Gardens.
2. Pink purse: This is an Expressions NYC shell handbag in pink with silver handle and clasp that I found at Marshalls. No more big purses for me because I’m totally into small handbags now, with just enough room for keys, cellphone and credit cards.
3. Ceramic starfish: A friend gave this to me for my birthday a few years ago. I love it because it’s the primary colors inside my home — ocean blue.
4. Clock: This was a Christmas gift from my mom to her mother in 1996 with a loving inscription. It’s special to me because they’re gone now, and the message is a sweet reminder of them both. I keep it next to my bed.
5. Painting: I got this at a silent auction. It’s a signed painting by Irene Amiet, a photographer and former client of mine. I like the coastal feel.
6. Chanel Allure perfume: This is my signature fragrance. People approach me all the time and ask what I’m wearing. It’s quite elegant and smells different on everyone.
7. Brighton sterling bracelet: I originally bought this for my mom, but now I never take it off. The engraved words are separated by tiny diamonds: Mom, Friend, Caring, Cherished, Unconditional Love, Loving Mother, Generous, Devoted, Hero and Kind. It reminds me of how I want to be for my children.