Each month, Coast Monthly visits with some of the most stylish people on the Texas Coast to see some of their favorite things.
Mary Ellen Doyle is a Texas City icon, but her role as wife, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother truly defines her. Family oriented and civic-minded, Doyle met her husband, Chuck, while they were attending the University of Oklahoma.
“He was looking for a Catholic wife,” she said.
Doyle was a journalism major whose idol was comic strip reporter Brenda Starr. After graduation, she landed jobs writing for The Galveston County Daily News and the former Texas City Sun.
With five children later — the youngest born in the car of the hospital parking lot — 19 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren, Doyle praises Texas City ISD, where her children went to school and grew up to be productive citizens with successful careers.
Her fashion style is mainly casual and consists of two important factors: Pants and tops.
“You’ll never see me in a dress unless I’m at a formal event,” she said.
Here are a few of her favorite things:
1. Outdoor swing: This was a Christmas gift. It’s comfortable and hanging in a breezy spot by the pool. Plus, I love the pattern of the shorebirds.
2. Pewter fish: This is the very first piece I bought for our lake house while it was still under construction. I got it at House of Interiors in La Marque.
3. Wooden stingaree: I love this little guy; he’s as cute as can be. Plus, the stingaree is the symbol of the Texas City High School’s sports teams.
4. Purple martin houses: We have over a dozen of these throughout our property and the birds are such fun to watch. They arrive in late February or early March, have their babies, then leave after the babies are old enough to fly.
5. Red lobster: We were on a trip to Maine and I said, “Oh Chuck, I love that,” so we bought it. It’s hand carved from chestnut wood by a well-known wildlife artist from Surf City, N.J.
6. Bench: All of our children gave this to us as an anniversary present one year. I love all the vibrant colors.