Each month, Coast Monthly visits with some of the most charming people on the Texas Coast to see their style.
When Rose Harshfield went to work 26 years ago for the Houston Sports Association, the Oilers were still Houston’s football team and Jeff Bagwell had just come on board with the Astros. Over the years, the Houston Sports Association name changed to Astrodome USA, Reliant Park and now NRG.
“I love my job; it’s in my blood,” said Harshfield, who was involved with this year’s Super Bowl, helping out wherever needed.
She grew up fishing and crabbing with her family on Bolivar Peninsula, spending the night in the back of a station wagon or sometimes in a tent.
Although Houston is her home base, Harshfield and husband, Jim, spend almost every weekend at their bay home in San Leon. Both avid anglers, they longed for a coastal home of their own. After years of renting beach properties and trailering their boat to the bay, they found and bought the perfect place.
Her wardrobe consists of things that are flowing and feminine. But in the fall, you will find her in boots, leggings and long tops.
Here are a few of her favorite things:
1. Bracelet: My mom had my Christmas presents in a tote bag full of family gifts last year, but she died five days before Christmas. I found it after her death, so it is very special to me.
2. Mermaid: I bought this for our bay home and have kept it outside, so she’s started to rust, but that’s all part of living by the water.
3. Sand dollar collection: Jim and I used to go shelling on the beach at Port Aransas where we collected all these sand dollars. They were picked up before we were even married, and we’ve been married 30 years.
4. Brass crab: This belonged to my husband’s father and we’ve had it for many years. We brought it down here since it represents our love of the coast.
5. Octopus plate: I have a set of coastal serving plates that I use for parties, and this is pretty cool. I like the orange color of the octopus.
6. Painting: My brother painted this shrimp boat for us when we moved into our bay home almost three years ago. He’s just now getting back into his art, and this fits really well here.
7. Blue topaz ring: My husband gave me this for Christmas and I absolutely adore it. I wear it on special occasions.
8. Metal flounder: My brother and sister-in-law gave this to us as a housewarming gift when we first moved in. It’s perfect wall art.
9. Nolan Ryan shirt: This is a signed shirt by Nolan Ryan — number 189 out of 250. The shirt is from the Astros vs. Rangers game when Nolan Ryan returned to the Astrodome in 1993 as a member of the Texas Rangers.