Each month, Coast Monthly visits with some of the most charming people on the Texas Coast to see their style.
After graduating in 2013 from the University of Houston with a public relations degree, Sarah Spak moved back to her hometown of Galveston and now works as a marketing coordinator at Yaga’s Entertainment Inc.
“I’ve been back on the island for four years and it’s wonderful,” said Spak, who is excited about the city’s growth. “I rarely leave the island because there is so much to do here. It’s hard to even go over the causeway.”
When not at the beach with her boyfriend, who is an avid surfer and paddleboarder, she stays busy planning yearly events for Yaga’s, including Mardi Gras and Galveston Island Shrimp Festival.
Spak is looking forward to winter when she can wear boots, mix prints and dress in layers, she said.
“I like to make outfits come together from head to toe — with scarves and jackets — in fall and winter,” said Spak, who has fond memories of seeing that rare snow fall on the beaches of Galveston on Christmas morning in 2004.
Here are a few of her favorite things:
1. Sand dollar collection: We love to go shelling. This is a collection of sand dollars from Florida and orange shells from Orange Beach, Ala.
2. Bracelet: My boyfriend gave me this starfish bracelet from Island Silver in Galveston for my birthday. I love coastal jewelry and he knew I loved starfish.
3. Purse: My stepmother gave me this Dooney & Bourke gingham bag for Christmas. She knows how much I like small purses, and this one is perfect for me.
4. Perfume: This is “Walk on Air” by Kate Spade. It has a very crisp, light fragrance, which is what I lean toward — the cottony, fresh, clean air and water aromas.
5. Palm tree metal sculpture: This was a gift from my mother that I’m very fond of. When my mom sees something beachy, she buys it for me.
6. Blanket scarf: I bought this over-sized burgundy scarf online. I can wear it around my neck, under my coat or just drape over a top. Perfect for winter.
7. Flamingo pillow: I’ve had this for years and it works with any kind of bedding sets. I got it at Tuesday Morning.
8. Red jacket: I love the color, the fringe, silver embellishments and bling. I will be wearing this a lot this winter with jeans.
9. Betsey Johnson shoes: These are my special occasion shoes. I actually walked across the stage in them when I graduated from college, and wore them all night long.