Each month, Coast Monthly visits with some of the most charming people on the Texas Coast to see their style.
Kat Castro-Clemons grew up with dreams of a career in theater, so after graduating from Houston’s High School for the Performing and Visual Arts in 1995, she moved to California.
After working at various jobs, she gave up the acting bug and got interested in the nonprofit sector, returning to Houston in 2010. Today, she’s director of Community Development for Hope Village in Friendswood and president of River Oaks Area Democratic Women, known as ROADWomen.
She lives in League City with husband, Jason Clemons, and their children, Olivia and Anderson. The family likes to spend down time exploring Galveston’s downtown and various island attractions, including Galveston Railroad Museum, La King’s Confectionery and Moody Gardens.
Castro-Clemons describes her fashion style as Bohemian and this winter plans to wear boots, leggings and scarves.
Here are a few of her favorite things:
1. Crochet wrap: My mom knows that I love all things from Mexico since she was born there, and this one initially belonged to her, but she passed it on to me.
2. Beaded necklace: My mom had this all her life, but gave it to me because she knew I’d like it. It’s full of color and a cool combination of the 1970s and south of the border.
3. Winter cap: I bought this after moving from Los Angeles to Boston in 2007. I wasn’t prepared for East Coast winters since I was used to California weather.
4. Red lipstick: This is my signature color — “Dance with Me” by MAC Retro Matte Finish. Everyone knows me for my lipstick color. I can wear it from early morning to late at night and it stays on perfectly.
5. Purse: Jason bought this Rebecca Minkoff purse for me for our first Christmas together, so it is very special. I love the color and prefer a clutch style, when I don’t have the kids in tow. I have a lot of purses — about 30 or 40.
6. Marilyn Monroe postcards: My fascination with Marilyn Monroe started when I was quite young. I saw her picture and thought she was so pretty, so I’ve been a collector ever since; I have over a thousand items.
7. Brown boots: I’ll be wearing these Clarks boots all winter. A gift from my husband — he knows all my sizes and brings things home for me. We use Amazon Wish List so we know what each other likes.
8. Mermaid tail: This actually belongs to my daughter, Olivia, but I wear it, too. It’s a cozy lounge-around-the-house item. I like to put it around my feet, but it fits her whole body. We have fun with it.