Each month, Coast Monthly visits with some of the most charming people on the Texas Coast to see their style.
After years of working in the corporate and nonprofit sectors, Kyra Baehr had a calling to go to ministry school, she said.
“Others saw it in me when I was young, before I claimed it,” said Baehr, who spent her formative years in Ottumwa, Iowa.
After her ordination in Unity Village, Missouri, in 1997, her journey took her to Arizona, where she ministered in several communities before moving to League City in 2013 to become the minister of Unity Bay Area Houston.
Now that she’s a coastal person, she loves to go out on Galveston Bay in a friend’s pontoon boat and soak up the salty sea air.
Baehr describes her fashion style as eclectic, flowing and full of bling. She loves boots, leggings and vibrant colors. This winter, she’ll be wearing her Scottish cape.
Here are a few of her favorite things:
1. Coastal dress: I call this my coastal dress because it has all the colors of the sea. The water is very soothing and spiritual for me.
2. Necklace: The diamond is from my mom’s wedding ring. My stepfather had it made into a heart-shaped necklace for me shortly after she died and gave it to me on Valentine’s Day.
3. Heart stone with wings: My sister made this for me from a rock she found. The winged heart is symbolic of freedom; love and life without boundaries.
4. Hat: I was blessed to receive this at the Edinburgh International Festival while visiting Scotland. It’s waterproof and kept me dry from the rain. When I wear it, I think of Scotland, its people, history, castles and centuries-old churches.
5. Interfaith necklace: I am all about oneness when it comes to religion. These are symbols of Hinduism, Taoism, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Egyptian Anka and Christianity. It represents all different faiths coming together in friendship and mutual respect.
6. Multidimensional heart: Just like our own hearts, this represents the many facets and complexities of who we are. It’s open and simple, but complex. I like how this glistens when the sunlight comes through the window.
7. Turtle doves: They are a symbol of love and peace and represent our connection to one another.
8. Amethyst geode: Amethyst and its rich violet color creates peace of mind, relieves stress, tranquility and brings harmony into relationships. This was a gift from a friend who has the other half.