Each month, Coast Monthly visits with some of the most charming people on the Texas Coast to chat about their style.
Angie Terrell, husband, Jeff, and their daughter, Ashlyn, just moved into their new Clear Lake Shores home, but it’s already filled with their treasures.
As a pilot for Hunter Buildings, Terrell is usually in the air, but when on the ground, she’s a real estate agent, councilwoman, flight instructor and rescue animal advocate.
When Terrell was growing up, her hero was Wonder Woman and still is, she said.
“I admire her strong personality and ‘nothing can stop you’ attitude,” she said.
Terrell’s favorite getaway spot is the family’s second home on Crystal Beach on Bolivar Peninsula.
“My husband flies for United, so on our time off, we escape to the sandy shores,” she said. Her fashion style includes anything soft and comfortable.
“I like fluffy sweaters for winter; I’m not a frilly, lacy person,” she said. “If I can have hot chocolate and watch the fire in whatever I’m wearing, I’m happy.”
Here are a few of her favorite things:
1. Photo of Ashlyn flying the plane: We were coming back from Austin about six months ago and I asked my daughter if she wanted to fly the plane and she said, “Oh yeah, mama.”
2. Model of King Air 200: This is a model of the plane that I currently fly. I have 9,000 hours of flight time and I’ve flown jets and small planes, but this airplane has my heart. She’s easy to maneuver and I feel at one with her.
3. Renewal of vows bottle: My husband and I renewed our vows in Fayetteville, Texas, where we got married, and we made this to represent the day. Ashlyn chose pink sand, I chose teal, Jeff chose blue and the brown sand is from Bolivar.
4. Wonder Woman tattoo: Intertwined with the Celtic symbol for strength, her quote that “only love can truly save the world” is so true.
5. Keepsake box: I lost my dad when I was 14. This is actually a box of candy he gave to me, and I keep special things in it that remind me of him — the ring from a carousel that we rode together, greeting cards he gave me and a picture we colored together.
6. “Strong is Beautiful” necklace: A gift to myself on my one-year anniversary of working out with my trainer. I’ve lost 25 pounds and 15 percent body fat, and I can now deadlift 225 pounds.
7. Pixel: Ashlyn wanted a bunny for her third birthday present. Since we only adopt pets, this one is special. He’s missing most of his toes and part of his ear, and we love him.
8. “Life is Good” sign: This is my major motto in life. It’s important to me because we get to be on this remarkable ride.
9. Captain’s wings certificate: I first became captain in 2006. That’s a big deal in a pilot’s life when you first make captain, so my husband shadow-boxed this for me.
10. Dolphin ring: I had a cancer scare 15 years ago and had my thyroid removed. My sister said, “We’re going to swim with the dolphins” and we did in Key West. Dolphins represent harmony and balance.