Each month, Coast Monthly visits with some of the most charming people on the Texas Coast to chat about their style.
Managing two careers — Realtor and flight attendant — might seem overwhelming to some, but not for San Leon resident Chantai Brewer, who embraces a fast-paced lifestyle.
While growing up in Ponca City, Oklahoma, Brewer learned a lot from her risk-taking father, she said.
“He told me to never forget where I come from, who I am and where I’m going,” she said.
Her proudest accomplishment has been raising her autistic son, Zach, who is now 20 years old and living independently.
Today, her life revolves around time spent with husband, Thomas, and juggling being above ground, on the ground and under water, where she loves to go snorkeling.
“Flying is fast-paced and exciting, especially when movie star Channing Tatum is on your plane, but under the water, it’s beautiful and peaceful,” she said.
Her fashion style is classic with a touch of whimsy, like tiny flowers and embroidery on vintage items.
“I like soft, warm clothes when the weather gets cold, and I’m a big fan of jackets and coats,” she said.
Here are a few of her favorite things:
1. Book: “Historic Homes of Ponca City” features many of the homes built in this little old prairie town before the oil boom of 1911. As a kid, I admired so many of these houses. The E.W. Marland mansion has 40 rooms on 30 acres.
2. Spirit bird necklace: I’ve had this since I was 7 years old and it is such a treasure to me. I’m a jewelry girl, and I’ll always have on jewelry, even wearing a T-shirt.
3. Ring collection: These are some of my favorite rings — the druzy ruby was given to me by my best friend for being maid of honor in her wedding; the Cripple Creek turquoise and mystic opal rings are from my husband.
4. Southwest wings, necklace and ring: I got my wings after completing training to be a Southwest flight attendant. When I was a kid, my dad took me flying in a small plane and I got the travel fever.
5. Quilt: This was handmade by my great-aunt and was passed down to me. I am drawn to fabrics with lots of texture and I love curling up with this.
6. Coin purse: We were vacationing in Exuma, Bahamas, and I found this little lady making and selling these on the side of the road. I just love it.
7. Umbrella: I like this because it has all the elements I adore: sky, water and elephants.
8. Jade earrings: My husband bought these for me on The Strand for our anniversary, so they are special.